Introduction: Last week…Scattered. Primarily we spoke about the disciples and what they did or didn’t do when the shepherd was struck…This week I want to look at not only what the disciples did, but a whole community of believers who were missing their shepherded. What did they do? The gathered.
Before I look at text, I want to talk about why, potentially, people don’t come together.
Why individuals don’t gather?
- Pride / Embarrassment.
- Resources – Don’t know where to go.
- Don’t want to be measured / judged?
Why individuals don’t gather in church context?
- Too busy – Not enough time.
- Takes too long.
- No church family…. emphasis on family/community.
- Don’t want to be ‘preached at.’ / told what to do!
- Some people don’t like crowds. (Shy, feel ‘unworthy,’ etc….
Why did they Gather in upper room?
- Commanded to by Jesus.
- Had no other place to go.
- Had commonality / support from/by like-minded others.
- Looking for answers / help.
What happens at Pentecost?
- The Church ‘Gathered’
- They were ‘in one accord’
- Holy Spirit came in supernatural way.
- Received empowerment despite anticipation or credentials.
- Brought confusion to others – how do we hear these (unlearned) speaking great things about God in our language.
- Renewed for new purpose personally and corporately.
Conclusion: We need to gather…especially when we’ve been scattered.
It’s the enemy’s intention to divide and isolate…and he will use any and every possible method!