Introduction: Part 3 of Let’s Go! Last 2 weeks…Deeper and wider, today, straighter!
NKJ Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 “Because1 narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
NLT Matthew 7:13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell1 is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.
Narrow vs. Broad
Broad / Wide
- Broad and Wide
- Leads to destruction
- Many choose that path
Narrow / Straight
Question: Who said it would be easy? It’s not. Not even mildly!
3. Only a few find it
Board / Wide Path (This is the 405 Freeway)
- Spacious, yet cramped / packed!
- Well-traveled, but dead-ends! (literally)
- Recognized and customary (in auto-pilot)
- Leads to a familiar/common destination
- Parks / settles in fought for spaces (after going up and down the isles looking for an open spot and a spot closest to desired destination) it just sits until moving on to next destination.
Narrow / Straight Path
- Smaller / shorter (Doty Ave)
- Less traveled (except by those going to two schools at end of block) but has clear / purposeful ending in mind.
- Goes through by necessity not convenience (sometimes you can only get certain places by these types of routes)
- Sometimes must yield to on-coming traffic (spiritually we have to yield / pause when God coming straight toward us)
- Seems more precarious (especially in bad weather, curvy roads when going downhill and sharp turns.
What would I say to you specifically about Going Straighter today (application wise)?
Straighter in our Convictions
What are convictions?
Straighter in our Example
Application: What parents do in moderation our children will do in excess!
On the Broader Side of the Road:
- Entertainment choices
- What are we watching on television?
- What are we listening on radio?
- What is our favorite hang-outs?
- ‘Adult Opportunities/Privileges’
- Drinking privileges / responsibilities – adult controlled substances
- Prescription / Non-prescription options
- Mean / Argumentative / Inflexible / Disrespectful Dispositions
On the Narrow / Straight path
- Biblical example
Isaiah 42:16 ‘I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, And crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, And not forsake them’.
Acts 13:10 and said, “O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord? (Act 13:10 NKJ)
Matthew 3:3 ‘For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight1.'”