Psalm 85:6 ‘Will You not revive us again, That Your people may rejoice in You? (Psa 85:6 NKJ)
Introduction: We’ve spent over a month going over what and why the season and presence of Pentecost is so important.
My next move for us? What does the Holy Spirit bring? Too many to mention but let me move into the thought of the Holy Spirit and Renewal or Revival.
Revival defined is that very thing: renewal, resuscitation, comeback; an improvement in the condition or strength of something. An instance of something becoming popular, active, or important again.
Question: What sparks Spiritual Revivals? Zack Kincaid https://www.sharefaith.com/blog/2016/06/5-great-american-revivals/
Transition: So, what are the tale-tale signs of true spiritual revival/renewal?
Here is my list:
A fixed or firm belief that:
- We need God
- Are Sinners
- Not Where we Should Be
2. Desire / Hunger
To Wish or Long For; Crave; Want
- Change in our Circumstance
- Know God: His Word and Ways
- Start Fresh / Anew
- 3. Repentance
Deep Sorrow, Regret, Contrition
- Honest ‘About Face’
- Commitment to different values, morals, intentions, purposes.
- Pursuit of Honesty and Integrity in every part of our lives.
4. Fresh / New Touch of Holy Spirit
- Asking / Praying for a fresh touch of God’s Holy Spirit in our whole person.
- Allowing the voice / conviction of God to motivate and steer our lives in whatever direction is necessary.
5. Hunger / Dedication to Scripture
- Intentional pursuit for clarity of interpretation of Scripture.
- Consistent Discipline.
- Genuine / Sincere
- Insistences on Power of God’s Word / Ways as True and only Source of Authority
- Inclusion of ALL
- Faith for Conversion
- Invitation to New Birth / Life
Two thoughts to mention about revival from Patrick Morley. https://maninthemirror.org/2010/08/09/ten-characteristics-of-revivals/
- Revivals seem to be cyclical: revivals inevitable crest and decline.
- Revivals can be messy-Revivals are messy–controversies swirl about miracles, abuses, excesses, suspicions, and theological disputes (to name but a few).9
Conclusion: Leonard Ravenhill, ‘As long as we are content to live without revival, we will.’
One last thought on my end: America and the World needs revival….but it starts with one flame, one fire, the fire in us as individuals!